Dhanapal set to get elected as new Speaker
Chennai:P Dhanapal, Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Assembly, is set to be elected as Speaker for which Governor K Rosaiah has summoned the House to meet on October 10.
AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has nominated Dhanapal, elected from Rasipuram (SC) constituency in Namakkal district for the post, vacated by D Jayakumar last week.
With numbers on the ruling AIADMK`s side, the election of 61-year-old Dhanapal, a four-time MLA, as Speaker will in all certainty be a smooth affair.
In a surprise development, Jayakumar, a four-time MLA from the Royapuram constituency in Chennai, who became Speaker soon after AIADMK came to power in May last, quit the post.
Though the reason for Jayakumar`s resignation was not known yet, party circles criticised him for "having indulged in self-promotion" and "encouraging factionalism".
The style in which he celebrated his birthday recently was an illustration of his ways of functioning, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore