Dharmapuri violence: Girl wants to be with mother
Chennai: The girl, whose marriage to a Dalit boy triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last, on Monday told the Madras High Court that she would go with her mother "for the time being".
Divya, who appeared before a bench that comprised of Justice M Jeyachandran and Justice M M Sunderesh, reiterated her earlier statement that she wanted to go with her mother "for the time being".
She said she had no problems in the house of her husband or with her mother-in-law but was being haunted by the incidents of her father`s death who committed suicide after her marriage with Ilavarasan of Natham village.
Divya`s mother too had opposed the inter-caste marriage which was held on October 14.
Three villages of Dharmapuri district-- Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar-- witnessed violence and about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched on November 7 after the girl`s father committed suicide.
Several writ petitions were filed and the Court has ordered a probe into the rehabilitation measures taken in Dalit colonies under the committee headed by IAS officer Vaski which submitted a 5000-page report to the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'