Dharmapuri violence: Girl wants to be with mother
Chennai: The girl, whose marriage to a Dalit boy triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last, on Monday told the Madras High Court that she would go with her mother "for the time being".
Divya, who appeared before a bench that comprised of Justice M Jeyachandran and Justice M M Sunderesh, reiterated her earlier statement that she wanted to go with her mother "for the time being".
She said she had no problems in the house of her husband or with her mother-in-law but was being haunted by the incidents of her father`s death who committed suicide after her marriage with Ilavarasan of Natham village.
Divya`s mother too had opposed the inter-caste marriage which was held on October 14.
Three villages of Dharmapuri district-- Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar-- witnessed violence and about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched on November 7 after the girl`s father committed suicide.
Several writ petitions were filed and the Court has ordered a probe into the rehabilitation measures taken in Dalit colonies under the committee headed by IAS officer Vaski which submitted a 5000-page report to the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'