Dharmapuri violence: Girl wants to be with mother
Chennai: The girl, whose marriage to a Dalit boy triggered anti-Dalit violence in three villages of Dharmapuri district in November last, on Monday told the Madras High Court that she would go with her mother "for the time being".
Divya, who appeared before a bench that comprised of Justice M Jeyachandran and Justice M M Sunderesh, reiterated her earlier statement that she wanted to go with her mother "for the time being".
She said she had no problems in the house of her husband or with her mother-in-law but was being haunted by the incidents of her father`s death who committed suicide after her marriage with Ilavarasan of Natham village.
Divya`s mother too had opposed the inter-caste marriage which was held on October 14.
Three villages of Dharmapuri district-- Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar-- witnessed violence and about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched on November 7 after the girl`s father committed suicide.
Several writ petitions were filed and the Court has ordered a probe into the rehabilitation measures taken in Dalit colonies under the committee headed by IAS officer Vaski which submitted a 5000-page report to the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey