Dhoti issue: BJP, Cong welcome TN govt`s decision to bring new law
New Delhi: BJP and Congress on Wednesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s decision to bring in a legislation to put an end to the practice of denying entry to dhoti-clad people in clubs in the state.
"It is a welcome decision. It is an irony that a law has to be made to allow dhoti clad people in clubs. It is an outdated law made during British time whereas Indian people practise several traditions. Dhoti is a common dress in states like Tamil Nadu, Kerela and Andhra Pradesh," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu told reporters outside the Parliament.
The Tamil Nadu government`s decision comes after Madras High Court judge Hariparanthaman and two senior advocates were barred from entering Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) for wearing dhotis last week when they reached there to attend a book release function. The staff denied them permission saying wearing dhoti was violation of club`s dress code.
"How can they object for someone wearing a dhoti... They were wearing descent clothes?" Naidu asked.
Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said that he even wore a dhoti when he visited the United Nations.
"Dhoti is a national dress in states like Tamil Nadu. It is in our culture and it has to be given its due respect. I visited UNO wearing dhotis," Joshi said.
Congress too came in support of Tamil Nadu government`s decision. Its MP Shashi Tharoor said that even he was barred from entering into the clubs a couple of time in Chennai when he was wearing a kurta.
"Clubs can have their own rules and you can restrict your members. But how can you restrict entry when the club profits from public functions by renting the premises. They do not have the right to restrict people as it is disrespectful of social traditions," Tharoor said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged