Dhoti issue: BJP, Cong welcome TN govt`s decision to bring new law
New Delhi: BJP and Congress on Wednesday welcomed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa`s decision to bring in a legislation to put an end to the practice of denying entry to dhoti-clad people in clubs in the state.
"It is a welcome decision. It is an irony that a law has to be made to allow dhoti clad people in clubs. It is an outdated law made during British time whereas Indian people practise several traditions. Dhoti is a common dress in states like Tamil Nadu, Kerela and Andhra Pradesh," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu told reporters outside the Parliament.
The Tamil Nadu government`s decision comes after Madras High Court judge Hariparanthaman and two senior advocates were barred from entering Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) for wearing dhotis last week when they reached there to attend a book release function. The staff denied them permission saying wearing dhoti was violation of club`s dress code.
"How can they object for someone wearing a dhoti... They were wearing descent clothes?" Naidu asked.
Senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said that he even wore a dhoti when he visited the United Nations.
"Dhoti is a national dress in states like Tamil Nadu. It is in our culture and it has to be given its due respect. I visited UNO wearing dhotis," Joshi said.
Congress too came in support of Tamil Nadu government`s decision. Its MP Shashi Tharoor said that even he was barred from entering into the clubs a couple of time in Chennai when he was wearing a kurta.
"Clubs can have their own rules and you can restrict your members. But how can you restrict entry when the club profits from public functions by renting the premises. They do not have the right to restrict people as it is disrespectful of social traditions," Tharoor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'