Diesel price hike amounts to burdening of common people: Jaya
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday slammed the latest hike in diesel prices and said it amounts to unnecessary burdening of the common people.
Taking a dig at the scam charges faced by Congress-led UPA, Jayalalithaa said instead of recovering lost money in 2G spectrum allocation, coal block allocation and CWG scams, Centre was only frequently hiking prices of petroleum products, which she said would only further increase inflation.
The price of diesel was revised by 50 paise per litre today.
Diesel was the `lifeline` of the country and the monthly revision of its rates was an "unnecessary burdening of the common people," she said.
Congress-led Central government was giving so many problems to the people, that they now wondered if there was a democratic or dynastic rule in India, she said in a statement.
"Petroleum products are intertwined with people`s daily lives and today`s hike will severely impact farming and manufacturing sectors besides others, resulting in an increase in the prices of essential commodities, subsequently affecting the monthly wage earners and the daily wage labourers," she said.
Centre`s frequent revision of fuel prices was "unjust and unacceptable," she said, while reiterating her demand that government should take back the authority of fixing prices of fuel from Oil Marketing Companies, and sought for withdrawal of today`s increase in diesel rate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state