Diesel price hike amounts to burdening of common people: Jaya
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday slammed the latest hike in diesel prices and said it amounts to unnecessary burdening of the common people.
Taking a dig at the scam charges faced by Congress-led UPA, Jayalalithaa said instead of recovering lost money in 2G spectrum allocation, coal block allocation and CWG scams, Centre was only frequently hiking prices of petroleum products, which she said would only further increase inflation.
The price of diesel was revised by 50 paise per litre today.
Diesel was the `lifeline` of the country and the monthly revision of its rates was an "unnecessary burdening of the common people," she said.
Congress-led Central government was giving so many problems to the people, that they now wondered if there was a democratic or dynastic rule in India, she said in a statement.
"Petroleum products are intertwined with people`s daily lives and today`s hike will severely impact farming and manufacturing sectors besides others, resulting in an increase in the prices of essential commodities, subsequently affecting the monthly wage earners and the daily wage labourers," she said.
Centre`s frequent revision of fuel prices was "unjust and unacceptable," she said, while reiterating her demand that government should take back the authority of fixing prices of fuel from Oil Marketing Companies, and sought for withdrawal of today`s increase in diesel rate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!