Differences in TN BJP drag seat finalisation deadlock
Chennai: Differences within the BJP over choice of certain constituencies to be fought by it and to be allocated to its allies continued to remain a stumbling block in finalising the candidates list, according to party sources.
Although the finalisation of several constituencies including Salem, Tiruvannamalai and Kallakurichi could not be done as it involved both the PMK and the DMDK, who happen to be traditional rivals in northern Tamil Nadu, impasse continued with regard to certain seats due to differences within the BJP, sources refusing to be quoted said.
For instance, the Kongu Nadu Makkal Desiya Kazhagam, the Saffron party`s ally in the western belt, yesterday cautioned that it would walk out of the alliance if it was not allotted the Tirupur seat.
"We sought two seats. They said only one is possible. We agreed. We desired to fight on a separate symbol. They urged us to contest on Lotus symbol. We agreed for that too," KMDK chief E R Eswaran said, adding, if the promised lone seat of Tirupur was also not given, they had "no choice" but to opt out.
The reason for the reluctance of the BJP to part with Tirupur seat is due to multiple contenders for the Coimbatore seat in the BJP including former state unit chief CP Radhakrishnan, party general secretary Vanathi Srinivasan, and party`s Coimbatore leader GKS Selvakumar.
To solve the crisis, a "section of BJP leadership" suggested that Tirupur be given to either C P Radhakrishnan or Selvakumar and field Vanathi from Coimbatore and offer Karur to KMDK. However, KMDK refused to accept Karur seat.
Asked about the deadlock, Eswaran told PTI that "talks were continuing" and hoped that his party would "eventually get the Tirupur seat" without elaborating further.
Another smaller partner, Indiya Jananayaga Katchi (IJK) was also "requested" to contest on Lotus symbol so as to bolster the party`s prospects.
However, the constituency for this party has also not been finalised due to "differences in perception among certain leaders" although it is believed that the IJK has been "allotted," the Perambalur seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened