Differences in TN BJP drag seat finalisation deadlock
Chennai: Differences within the BJP over choice of certain constituencies to be fought by it and to be allocated to its allies continued to remain a stumbling block in finalising the candidates list, according to party sources.
Although the finalisation of several constituencies including Salem, Tiruvannamalai and Kallakurichi could not be done as it involved both the PMK and the DMDK, who happen to be traditional rivals in northern Tamil Nadu, impasse continued with regard to certain seats due to differences within the BJP, sources refusing to be quoted said.
For instance, the Kongu Nadu Makkal Desiya Kazhagam, the Saffron party`s ally in the western belt, yesterday cautioned that it would walk out of the alliance if it was not allotted the Tirupur seat.
"We sought two seats. They said only one is possible. We agreed. We desired to fight on a separate symbol. They urged us to contest on Lotus symbol. We agreed for that too," KMDK chief E R Eswaran said, adding, if the promised lone seat of Tirupur was also not given, they had "no choice" but to opt out.
The reason for the reluctance of the BJP to part with Tirupur seat is due to multiple contenders for the Coimbatore seat in the BJP including former state unit chief CP Radhakrishnan, party general secretary Vanathi Srinivasan, and party`s Coimbatore leader GKS Selvakumar.
To solve the crisis, a "section of BJP leadership" suggested that Tirupur be given to either C P Radhakrishnan or Selvakumar and field Vanathi from Coimbatore and offer Karur to KMDK. However, KMDK refused to accept Karur seat.
Asked about the deadlock, Eswaran told PTI that "talks were continuing" and hoped that his party would "eventually get the Tirupur seat" without elaborating further.
Another smaller partner, Indiya Jananayaga Katchi (IJK) was also "requested" to contest on Lotus symbol so as to bolster the party`s prospects.
However, the constituency for this party has also not been finalised due to "differences in perception among certain leaders" although it is believed that the IJK has been "allotted," the Perambalur seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption