Different yardsticks for rape incidents in Delhi, Tamil Nadu: DMK
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Monday questioned the different yardsticks being adopted by some political parties for the gang-rape incident in Delhi and one that took place in Tuticorin district in Tamil Nadu in which a seventh class girl was allegedly raped and murdered.
"Incidents of rape cannot be accepted whether it happens in Delhi or in Tamil Nadu... When a medical student was gang-raped in a moving bus, there was a national outcry despite assurances from the Prime Minister and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the protest is still continuing," he said in a statement.
He accused Jayalalithaa government of not taking any action on the incident that happened in Tamil Nadu.
"While Prime Minister himself is issuing a statement condemning such incidents, in Tamil Nadu, even after the murder of the girl, no Minister from the government was sent to console the family," he said.
Karunanidhi said it was "surprising" and "painful" that some political parties were adopting different yardsticks on incidents of sexual harassment which deserved severe punishment.
DMK would stage a protest before the District Collectorate at Tuticorin on Dec 26 condemning the incident, he said.
Meanwhile, in a separate statement, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, condemning the incident, announced a relief of Rs one lakh to the family of the girl, from the Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund.
The 13-year-old girl, hailing from Thathankulam near Tuticorin, was found murdered in a bush on December 22 and injury marks on her body gave rise to suspicion of rape.
A 35-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire