Different yardsticks for rape incidents in Delhi, Tamil Nadu: DMK
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Monday questioned the different yardsticks being adopted by some political parties for the gang-rape incident in Delhi and one that took place in Tuticorin district in Tamil Nadu in which a seventh class girl was allegedly raped and murdered.
"Incidents of rape cannot be accepted whether it happens in Delhi or in Tamil Nadu... When a medical student was gang-raped in a moving bus, there was a national outcry despite assurances from the Prime Minister and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the protest is still continuing," he said in a statement.
He accused Jayalalithaa government of not taking any action on the incident that happened in Tamil Nadu.
"While Prime Minister himself is issuing a statement condemning such incidents, in Tamil Nadu, even after the murder of the girl, no Minister from the government was sent to console the family," he said.
Karunanidhi said it was "surprising" and "painful" that some political parties were adopting different yardsticks on incidents of sexual harassment which deserved severe punishment.
DMK would stage a protest before the District Collectorate at Tuticorin on Dec 26 condemning the incident, he said.
Meanwhile, in a separate statement, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, condemning the incident, announced a relief of Rs one lakh to the family of the girl, from the Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund.
The 13-year-old girl, hailing from Thathankulam near Tuticorin, was found murdered in a bush on December 22 and injury marks on her body gave rise to suspicion of rape.
A 35-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!