Different yardsticks for rape incidents in Delhi, Tamil Nadu: DMK
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Monday questioned the different yardsticks being adopted by some political parties for the gang-rape incident in Delhi and one that took place in Tuticorin district in Tamil Nadu in which a seventh class girl was allegedly raped and murdered.
"Incidents of rape cannot be accepted whether it happens in Delhi or in Tamil Nadu... When a medical student was gang-raped in a moving bus, there was a national outcry despite assurances from the Prime Minister and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and the protest is still continuing," he said in a statement.
He accused Jayalalithaa government of not taking any action on the incident that happened in Tamil Nadu.
"While Prime Minister himself is issuing a statement condemning such incidents, in Tamil Nadu, even after the murder of the girl, no Minister from the government was sent to console the family," he said.
Karunanidhi said it was "surprising" and "painful" that some political parties were adopting different yardsticks on incidents of sexual harassment which deserved severe punishment.
DMK would stage a protest before the District Collectorate at Tuticorin on Dec 26 condemning the incident, he said.
Meanwhile, in a separate statement, Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, condemning the incident, announced a relief of Rs one lakh to the family of the girl, from the Chief Minister`s Public Relief Fund.
The 13-year-old girl, hailing from Thathankulam near Tuticorin, was found murdered in a bush on December 22 and injury marks on her body gave rise to suspicion of rape.
A 35-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS