Director, 3 others held for building collapse
Kancheepuram (TN): Four persons, including the director of a private educational institution near here, have been arrested in connection with the death of ten persons after an under-construction building in its premises collapsed recently.
The other arrested were two civil contractors and a supplier of manpower for the construction,a police release said.
A case under various IPC sections including 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) have been booked against the four, police added.
The victims were workers from Assam and Orissa and a preliminary probe has revealed that those engaged for the project did not have any experience or exposure to such work, the release said.
As for the Institution management, they had not obtained proper permission for taking up the the Rs two crore project, it said.
The investigation also revealed that the process of constructing the building was also flawed, with no adequate time provided for the curing of the wall, and the materials used were of inferior quality, police said.
The mishap occurred on Monday when the workers were involved in the construction of an auditorium in the institution located in Kunnam in Kancheepuram district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference