DMDK chief seeks votes for Modi, deal done with BJP
Cheyyar: Giving ample indication of having cemented ties with the BJP to fight Lok Sabha elections, DMDK chief Vijaykanth on Saturday sought votes for Narendra Modi and NDA and terming the combine a "victory alliance".
Actor-politician Vijaykanth, who had hit the campaign trail yesterday after unilaterally announcing five party candidates, made no reference to the alliance with BJP, Modi or NDA, which led to confusion in the saffron camp over the electoral pact.
However, with the two parties announcing the conclusion of the seat-sharing agreement overcoming the brief hiccup, the DMDK chief on Saturday put speculation to rest by seeking votes for the NDA in the Lok Sabha elections.
On his second day of campaigning at Cheyyar, which falls under the Arani Parliamentary constituency, Vijayakanth hailed BJP stalwart A B Vajpayee and said the Golden Quadrilateral project during the BJP regime has made travel easy.
Stating that Modi could ensure graft-free governance, Vijayakanth said people must vote against corruption.
"He is the only one who can root out corruption," he said, adding a formal announcement of candidates will be made soon by the BJP.
Targetting both ruling AIADMK and DMK, both of which he likened to "cobra", he alleged they had ruined Tamil Nadu and appealed to the voters to defeat these parties.
Describing the tie-up with BJP as a "victory alliance," the actor-turned-politician said the workers of parties in the grand alliance should function cohesively with a spirit of unity.
Flags of MDMK and BJP and cadres of these parties were also seen at the election rally.
Earlier, BJP General Secretary Muralidhar Rao, also in-charge of party affairs in Tamil Nadu, speaking to PTI from Hyderabad, said, "The talks between the two parties are reaching the final stage."
He, however, refused to divulge the details of the poll act, saying it would be announced later.
The BJP-led alliance has DMDK, MDMK, PMK, IJK and Kongu party.
BJP high command is expected to make a formal announcement on the alliance and the seat-sharing pact with allies soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information