DMDK meet to discuss plans for LS polls on September 1
Chennai: The executive council of DMDK, the principal opposition party in Tamil Nadu, would meet on September 1 to discuss, among other things, its strategy for the next Lok Sabha polls.
DMDK founder Vijayakant would address the meeting, a party release said.
The meeting assumes significance against the backdrop of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi greeting Vijyakant on his birthday on Sunday. The birthday greetings set off speculation in political circles in the state about alliance between the two parties for the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Vijayakant is presently facing a crisis in his own party with seven of his party MLAs shifting loyalty to ruling AIADMK led by Jayalalithaa.
DMDK has 29 MLAs in the 234-member Assembly including seven rebels.
Its alliance with the AIADMK during the April 2011 Assembly polls in the state fell apart few months after the AIADMK came to power.
DMDK did not go for any alliance with AIADMK and DMK during the recent Rajya Sabha polls and instead sought support from the Congress, which eventually extended its support to DMK`s Kanimozhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend