DMDK members evicted from TN assembly
Chennai: Opposition DMDK members were Friday evicted en masse from the Tamil Nadu Assembly after they came to blows with a rebel MLA, who had last year called on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa much to the chagrin of the party leadership.
The problem started when Thittakudi MLA Tamilazhagan, who is one of the four dissident DMDK MLAs who had met Jayalalithaa, made some remarks during question hour which provoked the main opposition party benches leading to noisy scenes.
In the melee, another rebel MLA Michael Rayappan was heckled and pushed by the other DMDK MLAs who surrounded him, leading to some of them coming to blows with him.
Speaker P Dhanapal summoned the Marshals and ordered their eviction. He also condemned the unruly behaviour of DMDK MLAs who engaged in fisticuffs.
Besides Rayappan and Tamilazhagan, two other DMDK MLAs Arun Pandiyan and Sunderajan had met Jayalalithaa last year seeking assistance for implementing welfare projects in their constituencies which had upset the party leadership.
It is not an accepted practice in Tamil Nadu politics for members of a particular party to call on the head of a rival outfit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof