DMDK MLA, arrested on land grabbing charge, gets bail
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday granted bail to DMDK MLA AKT Raja, who was arrested on a land grabbing charge based on the complaint of his mother.
Raja was arrested on Monday night and remanded to judicial custody after his mother, Ochamma, in her complaint accused him of taking control of a 50-acre property at Chettiapatti through a gift deed and asking her to move out, last week.
However, the MLA, the only son of Ochamma, who also has five daughters, alleged that his mother had been induced to file the complaint by his relatives with a political motive.
Allowing his bail petition today, Justice CT Selvam directed him to appear before the District Crime Branch Police and sign for a week.
Raja in his petition contended that his mother herself had executed gift deeds in his favour in 1988 and 2008, giving the properties and he had the true copy of the document.
In his petition, Raja mentioned that his mother lived in his house but now due to political motive, his relatives had induced his mother to lodge a complaint against him. He was innocent and did not commit any offence as alleged in the case, his petition said.
Tension prevailed after Raja`s arrest last night when his supporters gathered outside the police station and demanded his release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands