DMDK MLA, arrested on land grabbing charge, gets bail
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday granted bail to DMDK MLA AKT Raja, who was arrested on a land grabbing charge based on the complaint of his mother.
Raja was arrested on Monday night and remanded to judicial custody after his mother, Ochamma, in her complaint accused him of taking control of a 50-acre property at Chettiapatti through a gift deed and asking her to move out, last week.
However, the MLA, the only son of Ochamma, who also has five daughters, alleged that his mother had been induced to file the complaint by his relatives with a political motive.
Allowing his bail petition today, Justice CT Selvam directed him to appear before the District Crime Branch Police and sign for a week.
Raja in his petition contended that his mother herself had executed gift deeds in his favour in 1988 and 2008, giving the properties and he had the true copy of the document.
In his petition, Raja mentioned that his mother lived in his house but now due to political motive, his relatives had induced his mother to lodge a complaint against him. He was innocent and did not commit any offence as alleged in the case, his petition said.
Tension prevailed after Raja`s arrest last night when his supporters gathered outside the police station and demanded his release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India