DMDK MLA, arrested on land grabbing charge, gets bail
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Tuesday granted bail to DMDK MLA AKT Raja, who was arrested on a land grabbing charge based on the complaint of his mother.
Raja was arrested on Monday night and remanded to judicial custody after his mother, Ochamma, in her complaint accused him of taking control of a 50-acre property at Chettiapatti through a gift deed and asking her to move out, last week.
However, the MLA, the only son of Ochamma, who also has five daughters, alleged that his mother had been induced to file the complaint by his relatives with a political motive.
Allowing his bail petition today, Justice CT Selvam directed him to appear before the District Crime Branch Police and sign for a week.
Raja in his petition contended that his mother herself had executed gift deeds in his favour in 1988 and 2008, giving the properties and he had the true copy of the document.
In his petition, Raja mentioned that his mother lived in his house but now due to political motive, his relatives had induced his mother to lodge a complaint against him. He was innocent and did not commit any offence as alleged in the case, his petition said.
Tension prevailed after Raja`s arrest last night when his supporters gathered outside the police station and demanded his release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai