DMDK observes fast against hike in bus fares
Chennai: DMDK workers led by party founder
and Opposition leader in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, Vijayakant,
observed a day-long fast in various parts of the state against
the recent hike in bus fares and milk prices announced by the
In Chennai, the actor-politician, an ally of ruling
AIADMK in the April 13 assembly polls, alleged that the latest
hike has severely affected the people and said government must
have addressed issues such as alleged corruption and
mismanagement in the PSUs, rather than burdening people with
increase in prices.
Those who participated in the protest here included the
leader`s wife Premalatha and party`s senior leader and
presidium Chairman S Ramachandran.
DMDK workers observed fast in other parts of the state
including Cuddalore and Karur.
The AIADMK had last week hiked the prices of milk and bus
fares, holding that the PSUs were in a bad shape due to
mounting losses and blamed the previous DMK regime for this.
The hike had attracted widespread criticism from all
political parties in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption