DMDK observes fast against hike in bus fares
Chennai: DMDK workers led by party founder
and Opposition leader in the Tamil Nadu Assembly, Vijayakant,
observed a day-long fast in various parts of the state against
the recent hike in bus fares and milk prices announced by the
In Chennai, the actor-politician, an ally of ruling
AIADMK in the April 13 assembly polls, alleged that the latest
hike has severely affected the people and said government must
have addressed issues such as alleged corruption and
mismanagement in the PSUs, rather than burdening people with
increase in prices.
Those who participated in the protest here included the
leader`s wife Premalatha and party`s senior leader and
presidium Chairman S Ramachandran.
DMDK workers observed fast in other parts of the state
including Cuddalore and Karur.
The AIADMK had last week hiked the prices of milk and bus
fares, holding that the PSUs were in a bad shape due to
mounting losses and blamed the previous DMK regime for this.
The hike had attracted widespread criticism from all
political parties in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened