DMDK to boycott Presidential poll
Chennai: Actor Vijaykanth-led DMDK, the main opposition party in the 235-member Tamil Nadu Assembly, on Tuesday decided to boycott the forthcoming Presidential poll, accusing the Centre of not taking any concrete step to resolve issues confronting the state.
"People of Tamil Nadu cast their votes in every election. But they are only deceived by the Centre and its alliance partners, who never took any step to solve their problems," Vijayakanth, whose party has 29 members in the House, said in a statement.
In this context, it was better to stay away from the Presidential election and hence his party has decided to boycott the polls, he said.
He cited various issues such as the Mullaiperiyar row with Kerala, non-inclusion of Tamil as official language, inter- linking of rivers, Sri Lankan-Tamils issue and attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’