DMDK to boycott Presidential poll
Chennai: Actor Vijaykanth-led DMDK, the main opposition party in the 235-member Tamil Nadu Assembly, on Tuesday decided to boycott the forthcoming Presidential poll, accusing the Centre of not taking any concrete step to resolve issues confronting the state.
"People of Tamil Nadu cast their votes in every election. But they are only deceived by the Centre and its alliance partners, who never took any step to solve their problems," Vijayakanth, whose party has 29 members in the House, said in a statement.
In this context, it was better to stay away from the Presidential election and hence his party has decided to boycott the polls, he said.
He cited various issues such as the Mullaiperiyar row with Kerala, non-inclusion of Tamil as official language, inter- linking of rivers, Sri Lankan-Tamils issue and attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued