DMDK to field Zakir Husain for Pudukottai by-poll
Chennai: Actor-politician Vijaykanth-led DMDK on Wednesday decided to field N Zakir Hussain as its candidate for the June 12 by-election to the Pudukkottai assembly constituency.
Hussain, at present Pudukkottai district secretary, will be pitted against the ruling AIADMK`s V R Karthik Thondaiman.
With DMK, CPI, MDMK and PMK deciding not to enter the poll fray, it could be a straight fight between the AIADMK and DMDK in the by-poll caused by the death of CPI MLA S P Muthukumaran in a road accident on April 1.
Nominating Thondaiman for the by-poll, AIADMK chief and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had constituted a working group, which includes almost the entire state cabinet, to ensure the victory of the party nominee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family