DMDK town secy arrested in connection with clash
Madurai: DMDK Tirumangalam town secretary Radhakrishnan was among 15 persons arrested in connection with a clash with employees of toll gate at Kapalur near Tirumangalam, who demanded toll from him.
Police said five persons were injured in the clash and the subsequent lathicharge on protesting activists and local taxi operators, who blocked roads and refused to budge.
They said local taxi and van operators had objected to toll collection for local vehicles and staged an agitation for two days. During talks with the RDO, it was agreed that toll would not be collected for local vehicles temporarily.
They said the clash ensued when Radhakrishanan called his supporters after refusing to pay the car toll. His supporters as also local taxi operators broke furniture at the tollgate and picketed road traffic. As they did not disperse despite repeated warning, they were lathicharged.
Later the DMDK activists also picketed the Police station demanding release of Radhakrishnan and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB