DMDK town secy arrested in connection with clash
Madurai: DMDK Tirumangalam town secretary Radhakrishnan was among 15 persons arrested in connection with a clash with employees of toll gate at Kapalur near Tirumangalam, who demanded toll from him.
Police said five persons were injured in the clash and the subsequent lathicharge on protesting activists and local taxi operators, who blocked roads and refused to budge.
They said local taxi and van operators had objected to toll collection for local vehicles and staged an agitation for two days. During talks with the RDO, it was agreed that toll would not be collected for local vehicles temporarily.
They said the clash ensued when Radhakrishanan called his supporters after refusing to pay the car toll. His supporters as also local taxi operators broke furniture at the tollgate and picketed road traffic. As they did not disperse despite repeated warning, they were lathicharged.
Later the DMDK activists also picketed the Police station demanding release of Radhakrishnan and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan