DMDK town secy arrested in connection with clash
Madurai: DMDK Tirumangalam town secretary Radhakrishnan was among 15 persons arrested in connection with a clash with employees of toll gate at Kapalur near Tirumangalam, who demanded toll from him.
Police said five persons were injured in the clash and the subsequent lathicharge on protesting activists and local taxi operators, who blocked roads and refused to budge.
They said local taxi and van operators had objected to toll collection for local vehicles and staged an agitation for two days. During talks with the RDO, it was agreed that toll would not be collected for local vehicles temporarily.
They said the clash ensued when Radhakrishanan called his supporters after refusing to pay the car toll. His supporters as also local taxi operators broke furniture at the tollgate and picketed road traffic. As they did not disperse despite repeated warning, they were lathicharged.
Later the DMDK activists also picketed the Police station demanding release of Radhakrishnan and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH