DMDK urges Centre to end TN fishers` travails
Chennai: DMDK, an ally of BJP-led NDA in Tamil Nadu,today urged the Centre to find a permanent solution to the Sri Lankan Tamils issue and harassment of state`s fishermen, allegedly by the island nation`s navy.
"Though India magnanimously treats Sri Lanka as a friendly country, it does not seem to be respecting India. Apprehension and assault of Tamil Nadu fishermen continues and we strongly condemn this," a resolution adopted at a party brainstorming meet,chaired by DMDK president Vijayakanth,said.
The party urged the Central and State governments to take steps to ensure that fishermen were able to pursue their profession without "intimidation."
Another resolution greeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Cabinet colleagues on their assuming office.
The meeting was the first formal gathering of DMDK functionaries to take stock of the party`s performance in the April 24 Lok Sabha polls.
DMDK unsuccessfully fought 14 Lok Sabha seats in Tamil Nadu as part of the NDA alliance.
During the meet, district functionaries and LS candidates alleged that distribution of money by the ruling AIADMK influenced the poll outcome. It condemned the Election Commission for "not halting distribution of money."
A section of leaders said a deeper scrutiny was needed to understand if DMDK had electorally benefited from being in the six party NDA alliance.
They also said there was a need to introspect if the alliance for the LS polls would stand the party in good stead for the 2016 assembly polls.
Speakers alleged that farm produce in the State has been affected due to inadequate availability of water and urged the State government to take steps to improve groundwater level.
Earlier, the meet condoled the demise of Union Minister Gopinath Munde and observed a few minutes silence as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray