DMDK wants pardon for Rajiv`s killers
Chennai: After the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
expressed her inability to intervene in the execution of Rajiv
Gandhi`s killers, AIADMK ally DMDK on Monday said the Centre
should cancel the death sentence awarded to them.
"Since, Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan have already spent
20 years in jail, the central government should reconsider
their clemency petitions and save their lives," DMDK president
Vijaykant said in a statement.
The three convicts -- Murugan, Perarivalan and Santhan --
are set to be hanged on September 9 after the President
rejected their clemency petitions.
He also said many countries had already abolished capital
punishment and the same demand has risen among Indians. Hence
the Central government should cancel the execution of the
three convicts, he said.
Meanwhile, PMK founder S Ramadoss criticised Jayalalithaa`s
statement in the Assembly saying, "if she has the will, the
lives of three persons can be saved."
"While the whole state was waiting for the Chief Minister
to save the three persons, Jayalalithaa has stepped aside from
her responsibility saying she can`t intervene in the
President`s decision," Ramadoss said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?