DMK against pricing provision in Food Security Bill
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday said his party does not agree with the central government`s proposal to fix the rice price supplied to the state government as provided in the Food Security Bill.
In a statement issued here, Karunanidhi said out of the total 36.78 lakh tonne rice allotted to Tamil Nadu, the central government has said it would supply 21.88 lakh tonnes at Rs.3 per kg and supply price of the balance 14.90 lakh tonnes will be decided by it.
"The DMK party does not accept this," Karunanidhi said.
He said the centre should make it clear that the balance 14.90 lakh tonne will be supplied at the current rate of Rs.8.30 per kg.
Karunanidhi said the DMK`s firm request was communicated to union Food Minister K.V. Thomas in a letter from the party`s parliamentary party leader TR Baalu Aug 21.
Karunanidhi also said that the central government has agreed to the party`s amendment to the bill to provide that the current rice supply levels would be maintained to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information