DMK against pricing provision in Food Security Bill
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday said his party does not agree with the central government`s proposal to fix the rice price supplied to the state government as provided in the Food Security Bill.
In a statement issued here, Karunanidhi said out of the total 36.78 lakh tonne rice allotted to Tamil Nadu, the central government has said it would supply 21.88 lakh tonnes at Rs.3 per kg and supply price of the balance 14.90 lakh tonnes will be decided by it.
"The DMK party does not accept this," Karunanidhi said.
He said the centre should make it clear that the balance 14.90 lakh tonne will be supplied at the current rate of Rs.8.30 per kg.
Karunanidhi said the DMK`s firm request was communicated to union Food Minister K.V. Thomas in a letter from the party`s parliamentary party leader TR Baalu Aug 21.
Karunanidhi also said that the central government has agreed to the party`s amendment to the bill to provide that the current rice supply levels would be maintained to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'