DMK alleges MCC violation in bypoll-bound Yercaud
Chennai: DMK has submitted a memorandum to Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer alleging that the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) was being violated in Yercaud, where the assembly bypoll would be held on December 4.
The memorandum cited a news item in a Tamil daily, which reported smuggling of freebees like mixie, grinder, fans for distribution into Yercaud assembly constituency, a DMK release said.
"This is one example of the clandestine operation resorted to by the ruling party. Only one person was caught, but we apprehend that this kind of violations are going on in other areas of the constituency," the memorandum said.
It also sought to clarify as to who was the appropriate authority to grant permission to political parties to conduct campaign meetings within the constituency, since both the police authorities and the Returning Officer were directing each other for seeking permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'