DMK alleges MCC violation in bypoll-bound Yercaud
Chennai: DMK has submitted a memorandum to Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer alleging that the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) was being violated in Yercaud, where the assembly bypoll would be held on December 4.
The memorandum cited a news item in a Tamil daily, which reported smuggling of freebees like mixie, grinder, fans for distribution into Yercaud assembly constituency, a DMK release said.
"This is one example of the clandestine operation resorted to by the ruling party. Only one person was caught, but we apprehend that this kind of violations are going on in other areas of the constituency," the memorandum said.
It also sought to clarify as to who was the appropriate authority to grant permission to political parties to conduct campaign meetings within the constituency, since both the police authorities and the Returning Officer were directing each other for seeking permission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened