DMK announces candidate for bypoll
Chennai: DMK Friday named V Maran as its candidate for the byelection to the Yercaud (ST) assembly constituency to be held on December 4.
Party chief M Karunanidhi told reporters here that out of 42 contenders, Maran, a post graduate in business administration, was chosen after an interview session presided over by him.
Other senior leaders, including DMK Treasurer M K Stalin and Duraimurugan, also participated in the session.
The announcement of the candidate for the bypoll came days after Karunanidhi writing to all opposition parties seeking their support for its nominee to put up a united fight against the ruling AIADMK.
The CPI-M and CPI have already rejected his appeal, pointing out to DMK`s association with the UPA in the past and being a party to various `anti-people` policies.
The bypoll has been necessitated by the death of AIADMK MLA C Perumal, 62, in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games
- Watch video: NASA's SDO captures solar material bursting from the sun!
- Salaries to go up 10.7%, star performers to gain handsomely: Study
- Nico Hulkenberg brings one point for Force India from Hungry
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra