DMK backs SP`s demand for extending promotion quota to OBCs
Chennai: In a move that might complicate UPA government`s efforts to push through the bill to provide reservation in promotion to SCs and STs in government jobs, its key southern ally DMK on Wednesday backed Samajwadi Party`s demand for extending similar quota to OBCs also.
"SP leader Mulayam Singh Yadav did not say there should be no reservation for SC and ST communities, but only questioned why the Bill did not cover OBCs. This policy is acceptable to us also," DMK president M Karunanidhi said in a statement.
Karunanidhi`s backing of the SP supremo`s stand may cause more discomfort for UPA government, which introduced the bill in the Rajya Sabha today, amid a ruckus that saw two members of arch rivals SP and BSP locked in fisticuffs.
Karunanidhi said the point raised by Yadav was taken up by DMK MP T R Baalu at a meeting of Parliamentary party leaders in Delhi.
Holding that the Bill is an "important" one, the DMK chief requested the cooperation of all parties for its smooth passage in Parliament as only two days are left for the end of the current Monsoon session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir