DMK candidate, five others file nominations for bypoll
Chennai: DMK candidate V Maran and five others today filed their nominations for the December 4 Yercaud (ST) by-poll which is likely to witness a direct face-off between archrivals DMK and AIADMK.
Nominations for the reserved constituency started on Saturday.
Election to the hill constituency was necessitated following the death of AIADMK legislator C Perumal, and party chief J Jayalalithaa has fielded the widow of the deceased MLA, Saroja.
So far, with other parties including DMDK not announcing candidates, the election seems to be a direct battle between the two Dravidian rivals even as DMK Chief M Karunanidhi has written to all opposition parties seeking support to his candidate.
Nominations close on November 16 and the papers would be taken up for scrutiny on November 18.
Further, EC also announced the appointment of Ravi Prakash Arora from Uttar Pradesh Cadre as the General Observer.
Arora is is expected to report to the constituency by November 16, a release from the office of Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Office (CEO), Praveen Kumar, said.
Further, Pankaj Kumar Jindal IRS is Expenditure Observer. EC also said the notification for bye-election to the constituency has been published today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media