DMK chief flays Lanka`s `autocratic` activities
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi Thursday alleged that Sri Lankan police had prevented hundreds of Tamil protesters from leaving northern Vavuniya town to take part in a rally at Colombo and said such "autocratic" activities by the island government were condemnable.
Karunanidhi recalled that the US Embassy in Sri Lanka had asked Colombo to allow free movement of citizens.
"These family members are calling for information about their missing loved ones. The Embassy calls upon Sri Lankan authorities to allow free movement of these citizens. The right to freely express opinions is universal and protected under Sri Lankan and international law," the US Embassy had said on Wednesday.
The DMK chief said in a statement that the people had planned to take out a rally in Colombo pressing for demands including finding out missing Tamils and releasing those lodged in jails as prisoners of war.
Police had allegedly created hurdles to prevent them from proceeding to Colombo and due to the `anti-democratic` activity, people staged the protest at Vavuniya itself, he said.
"It is condemnable that Sri Lankan government is denying basic democratic rights and is constantly involved in such autocratic activities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands