DMK chief Karunanidhi turns 89
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of the ruling UPA coalition at the Centre, turned 89 on Sunday.
Keeping to his customary style, the DMK patriarch was up early and started the day by planting a sapling to mark his birthday even as scores of supporters thronged his CIT Colony residence, which was all decked up for the occasion.
He later paid homage at the memorials of his mentors, DMK founder C N Annadurai and Dravidar Kazhagam founder E V Ramasamy here.
The birthday celebrations are seen as an attempt to rejuvenate DMK workers smarting from the party`s poor show in the April 2011 Assembly polls even as DMK is stung by differences among rival camps headed by Karunanidhi`s sons, M K Alagiri and M K Stalin.
The cloud of 2G spectrum allocation, in which Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi and junior colleague and former Telecom Minister A Raja are accused, also hangs over the Dravidian party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you