DMK chief Karunanidhi turns 89
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of the ruling UPA coalition at the Centre, turned 89 on Sunday.
Keeping to his customary style, the DMK patriarch was up early and started the day by planting a sapling to mark his birthday even as scores of supporters thronged his CIT Colony residence, which was all decked up for the occasion.
He later paid homage at the memorials of his mentors, DMK founder C N Annadurai and Dravidar Kazhagam founder E V Ramasamy here.
The birthday celebrations are seen as an attempt to rejuvenate DMK workers smarting from the party`s poor show in the April 2011 Assembly polls even as DMK is stung by differences among rival camps headed by Karunanidhi`s sons, M K Alagiri and M K Stalin.
The cloud of 2G spectrum allocation, in which Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi and junior colleague and former Telecom Minister A Raja are accused, also hangs over the Dravidian party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'A Wednesday' veterans Anupam Kher, Naseeruddin Shah spar over Kashmiri Pandits - Details inside
- National Anthem disrespect: Farooq Abdullah offers apology, says 'sorry, if I offended anyone'
- Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed due to Zika, suggest experts
- Mehbooba Mufti hints no separate colonies for Kashmiri Pandits in J&K
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in