DMK chief Karunanidhi turns 89
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of the ruling UPA coalition at the Centre, turned 89 on Sunday.
Keeping to his customary style, the DMK patriarch was up early and started the day by planting a sapling to mark his birthday even as scores of supporters thronged his CIT Colony residence, which was all decked up for the occasion.
He later paid homage at the memorials of his mentors, DMK founder C N Annadurai and Dravidar Kazhagam founder E V Ramasamy here.
The birthday celebrations are seen as an attempt to rejuvenate DMK workers smarting from the party`s poor show in the April 2011 Assembly polls even as DMK is stung by differences among rival camps headed by Karunanidhi`s sons, M K Alagiri and M K Stalin.
The cloud of 2G spectrum allocation, in which Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi and junior colleague and former Telecom Minister A Raja are accused, also hangs over the Dravidian party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?