DMK chief Karunanidhi turns 89
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of the ruling UPA coalition at the Centre, turned 89 on Sunday.
Keeping to his customary style, the DMK patriarch was up early and started the day by planting a sapling to mark his birthday even as scores of supporters thronged his CIT Colony residence, which was all decked up for the occasion.
He later paid homage at the memorials of his mentors, DMK founder C N Annadurai and Dravidar Kazhagam founder E V Ramasamy here.
The birthday celebrations are seen as an attempt to rejuvenate DMK workers smarting from the party`s poor show in the April 2011 Assembly polls even as DMK is stung by differences among rival camps headed by Karunanidhi`s sons, M K Alagiri and M K Stalin.
The cloud of 2G spectrum allocation, in which Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi and junior colleague and former Telecom Minister A Raja are accused, also hangs over the Dravidian party.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!