DMK chief leads state-wide protest on TN power crisis
Chennai: Taking on the Jayalalithaa government, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Tuesday led a state-wide protest on the power crisis and questioned its claims about the state being `peaceful`.
"It is unfortunate that she (Jayalalithaa) has claimed the law and order situation is good," the wheel-chair bound 88-year-old Karunanidhi said, addressing partymen who shouted slogans against the government.
Listing various incidents of crime during the 19-month old AIADMK rule, he said 928 murders had been recorded during this period and "she claims this is a peaceful" state.
The DMK chief was apparently referring to Jayalalithaa`s commending the law and order situation at the conference of District Collectors and Police officers yesterday where she said there were no major issues threatening public stability.
"She describes her rule as peaceful with 928 murders alone in the one and half years (of her government)... There cannot be a more unfortunate situation for the state and its people," he said.
During the same period, he said 768 incidents of burglary besides nearly 800 cases of chain-snatching and waylaying were also reported.
He alleged that the prevailing power cut situation had rendered streetlights useless and criminals therefore were emboldened to resort to chain-snatching.
In an apparent reference to the host of defamation cases filed against opposition party leaders including himself, he said Tamil saint-poet Thiruvalluvar had said a government which fails to listen to opposition or opposing voices will find itself on the decline.
"This protest is aimed at (the rulers) keeping that in mind," he said.
He also charged the ruling AIADMK with "targeting" his partymen, scores of whom including former Ministers and sitting MLAs have been arrested on land grab charges, but said his party was not deterred by them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says