DMK decides to boycott rest of TN Assembly session
Chennai: Opposition DMK on Wednesday decided to
boycott rest of the Tamil Nadu Assembly session following
"anti-democratic" activities in the floor of the House, saying
the party will explain the events before people in a public
"It has been decided that it would not be proper to
attend the rest of the session. To explain to the people the
incidents in the Assembly, we have decided to conduct a public
meeting in Chennai on August 25 titled `The Perils of
Democracy` in which party chief Kalaignar (Karunanidhi) and
others will participate," DMK Legislature Wing leader M K
Similar meetings will be held all over the state, he
said at the end of a party meeting presided over by Karunanidhi.
The decision was taken in the wake of `body language`
controversy surrounding former minister and senior party
leader Duraimurugan which eventually led to a walkout in the
House today and ruling AIADMK not obliging its demand for
accommodating all DMK MLAs together in the Assembly.
Speaking to reporters, Karunanidhi said the ruling
AIADMK was indulging in "anti-democratic activities" and his
colleagues were hurt by the incidents in the Assembly.
Stalin alleged that AIADMK was determined to make them leave
and charged them with making unsavoury remarks against his
"We were not allowed to talk and all sorts of charges were
levelled against us," he read out from a statement in the
presence of Karunanidhi at party headquarters Anna Arivalayam.
Despite maintaining restraint, the ruling benches were
provoking them to evict them, Stalin charged as he recalled
that his party`s repeated requests for proper seating
arrangements, accommodating all the 23 DMK MLAs in one area,
had not been met with favourable response.
This was not the case when the Dravidian party was ruling,
On today`s issue involving Duraimurugan, whose "body
language" was objected to by Local Administration Minister K P
Munusamy, Stalin denied any wrongdoing on the part of the
senior leader and said that only AIADMK members had "abused
He also recalled Duraimurugan`s contention that video
records could be verified to confirm the allegation and that
Duraimurugan had said he was prepared to quit if they were
proved and demanded the Minister`s resignation if he was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!