DMK drops plans for holding human chain protest
Chennai: Changing its plans, DMK thursday announced it will not hold a human chain protest against the ruling AIADMK as scheduled for tomorrow and would instead launch a door-to-door pamphlet distribution campaign.
With the police yet to give permission for the human chain protest, a DMK statement said its workers dressed in black attire would distribute pamphlets at every household from October 5 to Oct 7.
Party chief M Karunanidhi would lead the protest at Thousand Lights area, followed by general secretary K Anbazhgan and Treasurer MK Stalin at Villivakkam and Kolathur respectively.
The statement expressed apprehensions of law and order situation and said the party had therefore gone for the alternative plan.
Karunanidhi had expressed hope on Wednesday that police will accord permission for the protest, saying it was not a march or a rally.
Meanwhile, Karunanidhi came to his party office wearing a black shirt. Asked about the reason for his choice of not wearing his customary white shirt, the DMK chief said the police had banned black attire for the protest.
"Considering that violating the ban could lead to some unwanted incidents of violence affecting people, I thought it is fit to wear the black shirt today itself," he said, addng, he wanted his partymen to follow suit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read