DMK drops plans for holding human chain protest
Chennai: Changing its plans, DMK thursday announced it will not hold a human chain protest against the ruling AIADMK as scheduled for tomorrow and would instead launch a door-to-door pamphlet distribution campaign.
With the police yet to give permission for the human chain protest, a DMK statement said its workers dressed in black attire would distribute pamphlets at every household from October 5 to Oct 7.
Party chief M Karunanidhi would lead the protest at Thousand Lights area, followed by general secretary K Anbazhgan and Treasurer MK Stalin at Villivakkam and Kolathur respectively.
The statement expressed apprehensions of law and order situation and said the party had therefore gone for the alternative plan.
Karunanidhi had expressed hope on Wednesday that police will accord permission for the protest, saying it was not a march or a rally.
Meanwhile, Karunanidhi came to his party office wearing a black shirt. Asked about the reason for his choice of not wearing his customary white shirt, the DMK chief said the police had banned black attire for the protest.
"Considering that violating the ban could lead to some unwanted incidents of violence affecting people, I thought it is fit to wear the black shirt today itself," he said, addng, he wanted his partymen to follow suit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27