DMK ends Assembly boycott
Chennai: Ending its week-long boycott of the Tamil Nadu Assembly, DMK on Saturday said it would attend the proceedings when the House resumes its sitting next week as it wanted to discharge its democratic duties towards the people.
Party`s Treasurer and DMK Legislature Party Leader MK Stalin informed Speaker D Jayakumar that his party MLAs would attend the budget discussion pertaining to grants for various departments (which is scheduled from next week).
DMK, which has 23 members in the 234-strong Assembly, had boycotted the budget presentation on August 4 and subsequent discussion on it, demanding that the Speaker make seating arrangements accommodating all its MLAs in a single bloc.
In a letter to the Speaker, Stalin said even such "simple demands" made by the opposition were not being obliged which would amount to favouring the ruling AIADMK.
"You must be aware that both in Parliament and Assemblies, members of respective parties are seated in the same area," he said.
Responding to AIADMK`s ridiculing their demand, Stalin said his party MLAs did not fear attending the Assembly.
"DMK legislators will participate in the discussion on different departments ,express their opinion and discharge their democratic duties in the interest of the people ,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared