DMK founder Annadurai remembered on his 44th death
Chennai: Dravidian veteran and DMK founder C N Annadurai, credited with leading the first non-Congress government in post-independence era in Tamil Nadu, was remembered on his 44th death anniversary Sunday.
The Hindu Religious and Charity Endowment Department announced feasts for all communities in over 300 temples with Assembly Speaker R Dhanapal, AIADMK Ministers, MPs and MLAs attending them in temples across the state.
Special prayers will also be held for the rational leader, it said.
DMK president M Karunanidhi led his partymen in paying floral tributes to his mentor at the latter`s memorial in Marina, while senior party leaders, including M K Stalin, MPs Kanimozhi and T R Baalu participated in DMK`s customary silent procession.
AIADMK also paid respect to `Anna`, as the DMK founder is addressed, with presidium chairman E Madhusudhanan laying a wreath at Anna`s memorial on behalf of party supremo Jayalalithaa.
DMDK founder and Opposition Leader in the state Assembly, Vijayakanth also paid floral tributes to Annadurai.
A great orator who participated in the social reformist movement in the state, led by rationalist leader E V R Periar before parting ways with him to start DMK, Annadurai was instrumental in installing the first non-Congress government in the state after the 1967 general elections. He took over as Chief Minister then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'