DMK founder Annadurai remembered on his 44th death
Chennai: Dravidian veteran and DMK founder C N Annadurai, credited with leading the first non-Congress government in post-independence era in Tamil Nadu, was remembered on his 44th death anniversary Sunday.
The Hindu Religious and Charity Endowment Department announced feasts for all communities in over 300 temples with Assembly Speaker R Dhanapal, AIADMK Ministers, MPs and MLAs attending them in temples across the state.
Special prayers will also be held for the rational leader, it said.
DMK president M Karunanidhi led his partymen in paying floral tributes to his mentor at the latter`s memorial in Marina, while senior party leaders, including M K Stalin, MPs Kanimozhi and T R Baalu participated in DMK`s customary silent procession.
AIADMK also paid respect to `Anna`, as the DMK founder is addressed, with presidium chairman E Madhusudhanan laying a wreath at Anna`s memorial on behalf of party supremo Jayalalithaa.
DMDK founder and Opposition Leader in the state Assembly, Vijayakanth also paid floral tributes to Annadurai.
A great orator who participated in the social reformist movement in the state, led by rationalist leader E V R Periar before parting ways with him to start DMK, Annadurai was instrumental in installing the first non-Congress government in the state after the 1967 general elections. He took over as Chief Minister then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America