DMK general council to meet next month
Chennai: DMK will discuss its `organisational matters` at a two-day brainstorming session in Coimbatore next month, when the executive and the general council will meet under its chief M Karunanidhi.
The crucial general council, the party`s top decision
making body, will discuss `organisational matters,` DMK
general secretary K Anbazhagan said in statement here today.
The executive will be held on July 23 and the general
council the next day, Anbazhagan said.
The general council is likely to take stock of the
political situation arising out of recent assembly polls in
which DMK was trounced by its archrival AIADMK, besides
reviewing its ties with Congress.
This would be the first set of meetings that will review
the poll debacle of the Dravidian party even as partymen are
said to be angry over the arrest of Karunanidhi`s daughter
Kanimozhi, MP, for her alleged role in the 2G spectrum
They had been demanding a review of ties with seven
year-old ally Congress, which has been severely strained.
While the 88-year-old patriarch had said on his birthday
on June 3 that `a bad friendship would end in trouble,`
apparently meaning Congress, Karunanidhi had later clarified
that ties were `good` with the national party.
He had hinted at the possibility of reviewing ties with
Congress recently when he said that the general council was
the authorised body to discuss and decide on alliances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today