DMK hails India`s vote against Sri Lanka
New Delhi: Key UPA partner DMK on Thursday
welcomed India`s support for a US-sponsored resolution at the
UN`s top human rights body censuring Sri Lanka for alleged
human rights violations during the war against LTTE.
"This is what DMK wanted, this is what Tamil Nadu
wanted...we are very happy," party`s Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi
told reporters here.
Noting that many countries have voted against the
resolution, she said if India did not support the resolution,
it would not have passed.
Kanimozhi said India`s support to the US resolution
"makes sure that (Sri Lankan) Tamils get their rights,
rehabilitation happens and they get justice".
With 24 votes for, 15 against and 8 abstentions, the
47-member UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) adopted the
resolution which noted with concern that an internal inquiry
report in Sri Lanka does not adequately address "serious
allegations" of violations of international law.
Minister of State for Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) V
Narayanasamy said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who assured
the Parliament that India would support US resolution, has
fulfilled his commitment.
He, however, said the issue did not affect the friendly
relations between India and Sri Lanka.
"There will be no strained relationship between Sri Lanka
and India. Because, as far as India is concerned, as a
principle, we have been protecting the human rights values..,"
the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide