DMK has struggled for SL Tamil cause since early days: Karunanidhi
Chennai: Refuting criticism that his party had done little for the Sri Lankan Tamils cause, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Saturday said it had struggled for the ethnic minority since the early days, with even his party led governments being dismissed in the light of the issue.
Referring to the dismissal of his government in 1991 by then Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar two years after it came to power, he said there was a `conspiracy` to topple his government then.
Though the two leaders were on "friendly terms", Chandra Shekhar later took steps to dismiss his government after some "important" persons met him, the DMK president said without mentioning anyone.
With then Tamil Nadu Governor SS Barnala declining to recommend dismissal of his government, other means were used to dissolve the government, he said at a book release function at the party headquarters here.
"Chandra Shekhar was not satisfied. He didnt accept (but) he was made to accept (for the dismissal)," Karunanidhi claimed, alleging a "conspiracy" by some persons to topple his government.
The government was dismissed on "false charges" of helping LTTE, he said.
He claimed his government had been dismissed in 1976 also on the LTTE issue when Indira Gandhi was Prime Minister.
Karunanidhi said his party had been voicing concern for Sri Lankan Tamils since the days of veteran leader Chelvanayagam and said it had been supporting their struggles for about 40 years.
He also took a dig at arch rival and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, albeit without naming her, when he said DMK might have been remembered if it had passed a resolution (like AIADMK) in the Assembly seeking extradition of slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran in connection with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
With the party`s General Council meeting tomorrow, it will discuss issues, including alliance for next year`s Lok Sabha polls, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city