DMK HQ land issue: Jaya hits back at Karunanidhi
Tirunelveli (TN): AIAMDK chief J Jayalalithaa today said the party founder late M G Ramachandran was expelled from DMK by its chief M Karunanidhi after he had
questioned the "strong-arm methods" used in acquiring the plot, on which the DMK headquarters in Chennai was built.
"Although MGR was the DMK treasurer then, he had questioned the strong-arm methods of Karunanidhi in the purchase of the land from a zamindar family," Jayalalithaa told a civic election rally here.
On October 10, Karunanidhi had hit out at Jayalalithaa`s for her "land grabbing" remark, reminding here that MGR was the DMK treasurer when the land was acquired.
"It is because MGR opposed such irregularities he was expelled from the party and he founded the AIADMK on October 17, 1972," she said, adding Ramachandran`s name was removed from the DMK trust the next day.
Disputing Karunanidhi`s contention that the DMK headquarters was built on only 25 grounds (one ground equals to about 2,400 square feet), Jayalalithaa claimed it was built on a 90 ground plot.
"Is Karunandihi willing to hand over the rest of the land to the government if it exceeded 25 grounds?" she asked.
She alleged Karunanidhi had threatened the zamindar family members that the government would take over the land if they did not sell it to the DMK trust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’