DMK HQ land issue: Jaya hits back at Karunanidhi
Tirunelveli (TN): AIAMDK chief J Jayalalithaa today said the party founder late M G Ramachandran was expelled from DMK by its chief M Karunanidhi after he had
questioned the "strong-arm methods" used in acquiring the plot, on which the DMK headquarters in Chennai was built.
"Although MGR was the DMK treasurer then, he had questioned the strong-arm methods of Karunanidhi in the purchase of the land from a zamindar family," Jayalalithaa told a civic election rally here.
On October 10, Karunanidhi had hit out at Jayalalithaa`s for her "land grabbing" remark, reminding here that MGR was the DMK treasurer when the land was acquired.
"It is because MGR opposed such irregularities he was expelled from the party and he founded the AIADMK on October 17, 1972," she said, adding Ramachandran`s name was removed from the DMK trust the next day.
Disputing Karunanidhi`s contention that the DMK headquarters was built on only 25 grounds (one ground equals to about 2,400 square feet), Jayalalithaa claimed it was built on a 90 ground plot.
"Is Karunandihi willing to hand over the rest of the land to the government if it exceeded 25 grounds?" she asked.
She alleged Karunanidhi had threatened the zamindar family members that the government would take over the land if they did not sell it to the DMK trust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside
- Dance with the devil: What Manchester United under Jose Mourinho might be like
- Like seriously! Sohail Khan to replace Mika Singh on 'Comedy Nights Live'?
- Meet Facebook's North Korean cousin!