DMK HQ land issue: Jaya hits back at Karunanidhi
Tirunelveli (TN): AIAMDK chief J Jayalalithaa today said the party founder late M G Ramachandran was expelled from DMK by its chief M Karunanidhi after he had
questioned the "strong-arm methods" used in acquiring the plot, on which the DMK headquarters in Chennai was built.
"Although MGR was the DMK treasurer then, he had questioned the strong-arm methods of Karunanidhi in the purchase of the land from a zamindar family," Jayalalithaa told a civic election rally here.
On October 10, Karunanidhi had hit out at Jayalalithaa`s for her "land grabbing" remark, reminding here that MGR was the DMK treasurer when the land was acquired.
"It is because MGR opposed such irregularities he was expelled from the party and he founded the AIADMK on October 17, 1972," she said, adding Ramachandran`s name was removed from the DMK trust the next day.
Disputing Karunanidhi`s contention that the DMK headquarters was built on only 25 grounds (one ground equals to about 2,400 square feet), Jayalalithaa claimed it was built on a 90 ground plot.
"Is Karunandihi willing to hand over the rest of the land to the government if it exceeded 25 grounds?" she asked.
She alleged Karunanidhi had threatened the zamindar family members that the government would take over the land if they did not sell it to the DMK trust.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm
- Photo alert! Imran Khan and wife Avantika Malik party with Ranbir Kapoor