DMK joins chorus for raising cap on subsidised LPG cylinders
Chennai: Ruling UPA`s key ally DMK today joined Congress leaders in demanding that the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders be raised to 12 per annum, saying this measure was required to avoid facing the wrath of people.
"One LPG cylinder at subsidised rate should be given to the people every month and the Centre should come forward to help in this," DMK leader M Karunanidhi told reporters here.
Noting that a Parliamentary committee had recommended 12 subsidised cylinders a year, Karunanidhi said he had already demanded that the Centre bear the financial burden.
"I insist that the Centre should bear the financial burden owing to the subsidy keeping in mind that subsidised LPG is being used by lower and middle class people and the government should not invite their wrath," he said.
He wondered how people living below poverty line could purchase LPG cylinders at the non-subsidised rate of Rs 900.
Karunanidhi`s comments come a day after Congress leaders at the Surajkund meet in Haryana yesterday strongly pitched for raising the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders from the current six to 12.
DMK had participated in the nation-wide bandh called by opposition parties in September against the Centre`s decision to cut down on subsidised LPG cylinders, allowing FDI in multi-brand retail and increasing diesel price.
Replying to a question on the violence against Dalits in Dharmapuri district following an inter-caste marriage, the DMK chief demanded that those responsible for the incident be arrested under the acts governing rights of Dalits.
The government should also take efforts to remove the fear among Dalits and rebuild their houses, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical