DMK leader arrested over land grab charges
Tirunelveli (TN): A DMK leader and his brother
were arrested here on Saturday in the intensified crackdown on land
grabbing by the J Jayalalithaa-led Tamil Nadu government.
Karuppaswamy Pandian, DMK Tirunelveli district secretary,
and Sankarasubbu were held at their native village Tirutthu
early this morning and produced before a magistrate, who
remanded them in 15-days judicial custody.
Both were held by the Crime Branch of the anti-land
grabbing wing on charges of illegally occupying three acres of
land belonging to one Kuppiah Pandian of Naduvakurichi Village
in the district, police said.
Two relatives of Karuppaswamy involved in the case were
absconding, they said.
After coming to power more than three months ago, the TN
government has launched a crackdown on land grabbing, putting
several DMK leaders including four former ministers in jail.
The DMK has alleged that the government`s action smacks of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'