DMK leader "Delhi" Sampath is no more
Chennai: Senior DMK leader Sampath, a close confidant of party founder late CN Annadurai, died here after a brief illness.
78-year old Sampath, fondly addressed as `Delhi` Sampath, was not keeping well for some time and the end came on Monday night, DMK sources said on Tuesday.
A close associate of Annadurai, Sampath used to be the party`s pointsmen in the national capital whenever DMK was in power and was Special Representative at the Tamil Nadu House in New Delhi during the 1996-2001 DMK rule in the state.
He was also in-charge of the government guest house in Udhagamandalam (Ooty) when late Kashmir leader Sheikh Abdullah was jailed there.
Sampath was a key member of the party`s election manifesto team, the sources added.
Paying rich tributes to Sampath, DMK chief M Karunanidhi recalled his association with Annadurai and another veteran leader, the late `Murasoli` Maran. Sampath was his "unannounced secretary," Karunanidhi recalled in a statement.
"I have lost a sibling who would always abide by the high command," Karunanidhi said noting, he had met him recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living