DMK leader "Delhi" Sampath is no more
Chennai: Senior DMK leader Sampath, a close confidant of party founder late CN Annadurai, died here after a brief illness.
78-year old Sampath, fondly addressed as `Delhi` Sampath, was not keeping well for some time and the end came on Monday night, DMK sources said on Tuesday.
A close associate of Annadurai, Sampath used to be the party`s pointsmen in the national capital whenever DMK was in power and was Special Representative at the Tamil Nadu House in New Delhi during the 1996-2001 DMK rule in the state.
He was also in-charge of the government guest house in Udhagamandalam (Ooty) when late Kashmir leader Sheikh Abdullah was jailed there.
Sampath was a key member of the party`s election manifesto team, the sources added.
Paying rich tributes to Sampath, DMK chief M Karunanidhi recalled his association with Annadurai and another veteran leader, the late `Murasoli` Maran. Sampath was his "unannounced secretary," Karunanidhi recalled in a statement.
"I have lost a sibling who would always abide by the high command," Karunanidhi said noting, he had met him recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi