DMK, MDMK flay `derogatory` reference to Nadars
Chennai: DMK and MDMK on Friday voiced concern over the depiction of a particular community in Tamil Nadu in CBSE textbook allegedly in a derogatory manner.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi and MDMK founder Vaiko said the CBSE Class IX Social Science textbook had painted in `bad light` the Nadar community, largely concentrated in southern districts of the state and known for their trade and business acumen, and called for removal of the content.
"It is condemnable that they have been mentioned as migrants to southern districts of the state which is contrary to fact," Karunanidhi said.
Responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece `Murasoli,` he said tall leaders including Congress veteran and former Chief Minister K Kamaraj, credited with introducing the noon-meal scheme to increase school enrollment, hailed from Nadar community.
Listing out freedom fighters and other political leaders from the community, he recalled their contribution to society.
"I would call it an unpardonable mistake to belittle the contribution (of Nadars) by writing things contrary to fact. I insist that those concerned should immediately take efforts to rectify the mistake," he said.
Vaiko said Nadar leaders played a significant role in ensuring Kanyakumari remained with Tamil Nadu during reorganisation of states on linguistic basis despite strong efforts to make it a part of Kerala.
He announced he would lead a protest outside the Head Post Office at Nagercoil on November 2 against CBSE, demanding that the controversial reference be removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day