DMK MLA, 4 others booked for violating Code of Conduct
Madurai: A case has been registered against
DMK MLA P Moorthy and four others for violating the model code
of conduct in Tamil Nadu, where polls are scheduled for April
13, police said in Madurai.
The MLA is accused of distributing ever silver pots to
voters in Madurai East constituency in violation of the Model
Code of Conduct, police said.
Sixteen ever silver pots were recovered from four persons
belonging to DMK who were arrested last night for allegedly
distributing gifts to the voters ahead of the April 13 Tamil
Nadu assembly polls, police said.
The accused had admitted that the arrangements to bribe
voters was made by Moorthy, police said.
Elsewhere, Revenue Department officials seized Rs 15,000,
allegedly meant for distribution among the voters, at
Karungalakudi near Kottampatti, 40 km from here, last night.
The officials said acting on a complaint from the local
people, they rushed to a shop where money was allegedly being
distributed. However, on seeing the officials the gang fled
leaving behind Rs 5,000, they said. A sum of Rs 10,000 was
seized from the residential premises of the shop owner, they
Two persons have been arrested in this regard and the shop
concerned has been sealed, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra