DMK moves EC seeking transfer of DGP Ramanujam
Chennai: DMK on Tuesday moved Election Commission of India seeking transfer of Tamil Nadu DGP K Ramanujam to ensure free and fair Lok Sabha elections.
In his memorandum to EC in New Delhi, party`s Organisation Secretary and Lok Sabha MP T K S Elangovan pointed out the Commission`s recent instruction to all state governments to not to assign election duty to police officers who were serving extended terms after their superannuation.
Though the order applied only up to the rank of IG, in Tamil Nadu, the chief of police was a Director General and therefore DMK`s present petition.
"It is brought to the notice of the Election Commission of India that Ramanujam has already completed his tenure of more than 2 years 8 months in this post of the Chief of Police so far. And he will be completing three years of tenure in May. The Election Commission of India would not permit anyone to be connected with the conduct of general elections, who has continued in the same post for such a long tenure," he said in his memorandum.
Elangovan complained that Ramanujam was on extension without specific approval of Central government even as he alleged that the official was not eligible to be posted as DGP with the ruling AIADMK "overlooking" the seniority of six police officers at the time of his appointment.
He was given an extension in November 2012 and a government order was issued in this regard and this "arbitrary extension of service" was not challenged by any of the "affected IPS officers," he said.
After the Madras High Court dismissed a PIL against extension of services of Ramanujam, a Special Leave Petition was later filed in the Supreme Court where it was pending, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?