DMK MPs on fast over Mullaperiyar dam row
Chennai: Members of Parliament belonging to the DMK are holding day-long fasts on Monday in connection with the Mullaperiyar Dam issue.
The DMK had said that it would organise fasts all over the state today, demanding that the Centre prevail upon Kerala to implement the Supreme Court order, raising the storage level of Mullaperiyar Dam to 142 feet from 136 feet.
The party, which resolved to formulate a course of action on the fasts to protest Kerala`s demand for construction of a new dam, will also organise a human chain in five southern districts -- Theni, Madurai, Ramanathapuram, Dindigul and Sivaganga on December 15, which benefit from the waters of the dam.
DMK treasurer M K Stalin would head the human chain agitation at Theni, the resolution said.
In a rare sign of unity, DMK chief M Karunanidhi had last week echoed arch rival and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s demand for deployment of Central Industrial Security Force to protect the dam, which Kerala wants to demolish to build a new one. He had also charged the Centre and Kerala government with failing to prevent violence against Tamils in Kerala.
The Mullaperiyar issue has come to the fore in the past few weeks with Kerala raising the pitch for the new dam citing safety concerns about the existing structure Kerala has been witnessing a series protests by various political parties and social groups for a new dam in the wake of recent tremors in the region and rising water level in the dam in Kerala`s Idduki district but maintained by Tamil Nadu under a 999 year lease.
In the ongoing row, Tamil Nadu has accused Kerala of whipping up panic and moved the Supreme Court for a direction to deploy CISF at the site, the scene of protests.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27