DMK MPs on fast over Mullaperiyar dam row
Chennai: Members of Parliament belonging to the DMK are holding day-long fasts on Monday in connection with the Mullaperiyar Dam issue.
The DMK had said that it would organise fasts all over the state today, demanding that the Centre prevail upon Kerala to implement the Supreme Court order, raising the storage level of Mullaperiyar Dam to 142 feet from 136 feet.
The party, which resolved to formulate a course of action on the fasts to protest Kerala`s demand for construction of a new dam, will also organise a human chain in five southern districts -- Theni, Madurai, Ramanathapuram, Dindigul and Sivaganga on December 15, which benefit from the waters of the dam.
DMK treasurer M K Stalin would head the human chain agitation at Theni, the resolution said.
In a rare sign of unity, DMK chief M Karunanidhi had last week echoed arch rival and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s demand for deployment of Central Industrial Security Force to protect the dam, which Kerala wants to demolish to build a new one. He had also charged the Centre and Kerala government with failing to prevent violence against Tamils in Kerala.
The Mullaperiyar issue has come to the fore in the past few weeks with Kerala raising the pitch for the new dam citing safety concerns about the existing structure Kerala has been witnessing a series protests by various political parties and social groups for a new dam in the wake of recent tremors in the region and rising water level in the dam in Kerala`s Idduki district but maintained by Tamil Nadu under a 999 year lease.
In the ongoing row, Tamil Nadu has accused Kerala of whipping up panic and moved the Supreme Court for a direction to deploy CISF at the site, the scene of protests.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB