DMK organising secretary resigns from party
Chennai: In a jolt to DMK, its organising secretary P V Kalyanasundaram has resigned from the party demanding that M K Stalin be declared the party`s Chief Ministerial candidate for the 2016 assembly polls.
Kalyanasundaram, a Stalin loyalist, also demanded that Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK chief M Karunanidhi and former ministers A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran remain "aloof" from the party, party sources said.
He also urged the leadership to remove from party posts, functionaries facing land-grabbing and disproportionate assets cases.
He also urged that office bearers be appointed to newly restructured district units.
In a letter dated July 30, which was sent to DMK chief M Karunanidhi and party general secretary K Anbazhagan, he said Stalin should be announced the chief ministerial candidate for the 2016 Assembly election.
Kalyanasundaram is one of the two organising secretaries of the DMK.
The party has not taken any decision on his resignation, sources said.
DMK had recently restructred its district units in a bid to strengthen the party at the grass roots level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire