DMK organising secretary resigns from party
Chennai: In a jolt to DMK, its organising secretary P V Kalyanasundaram has resigned from the party demanding that M K Stalin be declared the party`s Chief Ministerial candidate for the 2016 assembly polls.
Kalyanasundaram, a Stalin loyalist, also demanded that Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK chief M Karunanidhi and former ministers A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran remain "aloof" from the party, party sources said.
He also urged the leadership to remove from party posts, functionaries facing land-grabbing and disproportionate assets cases.
He also urged that office bearers be appointed to newly restructured district units.
In a letter dated July 30, which was sent to DMK chief M Karunanidhi and party general secretary K Anbazhagan, he said Stalin should be announced the chief ministerial candidate for the 2016 Assembly election.
Kalyanasundaram is one of the two organising secretaries of the DMK.
The party has not taken any decision on his resignation, sources said.
DMK had recently restructred its district units in a bid to strengthen the party at the grass roots level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery