DMK organising secretary resigns from party
Chennai: In a jolt to DMK, its organising secretary P V Kalyanasundaram has resigned from the party demanding that M K Stalin be declared the party`s Chief Ministerial candidate for the 2016 assembly polls.
Kalyanasundaram, a Stalin loyalist, also demanded that Kanimozhi, daughter of DMK chief M Karunanidhi and former ministers A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran remain "aloof" from the party, party sources said.
He also urged the leadership to remove from party posts, functionaries facing land-grabbing and disproportionate assets cases.
He also urged that office bearers be appointed to newly restructured district units.
In a letter dated July 30, which was sent to DMK chief M Karunanidhi and party general secretary K Anbazhagan, he said Stalin should be announced the chief ministerial candidate for the 2016 Assembly election.
Kalyanasundaram is one of the two organising secretaries of the DMK.
The party has not taken any decision on his resignation, sources said.
DMK had recently restructred its district units in a bid to strengthen the party at the grass roots level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre