DMK pullout: Congress on `wait and watch` mode
New Delhi: Jolted by the DMK`s decision to pull out of the government, the Congress is on a "wait and watch" mode and weighing its options. According to a Congress party source on Sunday, DMK leaders have indicated at a possible reconciliation if the Congress scales down its demand of seats.
The DMK on Saturday evening decided to pull out of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government and provide only "issue-based" support after its seat-sharing talks with the DMK for the upcoming Assembly Elections in Tamil Nadu collapsed.
Congress sources said the party leadership had discussed the crisis created by the DMK`s decision and was keen to "wait and watch".
The sources said that party leaders in Delhi are keeping a watch on the evolving situation as some more statements were expected from DMK leaders on Sunday.
DMK has 18 MPs in the Lok Sabha and has six union ministers, including two of Cabinet rank.
DMK leaders had said on Saturday that their ministers will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday and hand over their resignations.
In a resolution passed by the high-level committee of the DMK in Chennai on Saturday, the party said the Congress was raising fresh demands after having agreed to contest 60 seats in the polls for the 234-member house.
It said that Congress had made a fresh demand of 63 seats and also wanted to its choice of constituencies and such moves had made it clear that the party "is not willing to continue in the DMK-led front”.
Congress sources said that while the DMK`s decision came as a surprise, the party was not in a mood to react in a hurry.
Congress spokesman Abhishek Manu Singhvi had said on Saturday that unnecessary comments will only muddy the waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi