DMK satisfied with PM`s assurance on S Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Key UPA constituent DMK on Monday expressed satisfaction over Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s assurance that New Delhi stood for the "dignity and self-respect" of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Party chief M Karunanidhi recalled that Singh`s assurance had been conveyed to a visiting delegation of Sri Lankan Tamil MPs last week.
"The Prime Minister had said India will not backtrack from its position that Tamils in Sri Lanka should lead a life of dignity and self respect in a peaceful environment. This gives us satisfaction," he said.
Similar resolutions had been adopted at a conference of party-backed Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisation (TESO) in August, he recalled.
On the recent arrest of Tamil Nadu fishermen by Iranian authorities for violating International Maritime Boundary Line, he said many fishermen from the state were languishing in
jails of Qatar and Iran and demanded that the Centre intervene immediately to secure their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof