DMK satisfied with PM`s assurance on S Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Key UPA constituent DMK on Monday expressed satisfaction over Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s assurance that New Delhi stood for the "dignity and self-respect" of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Party chief M Karunanidhi recalled that Singh`s assurance had been conveyed to a visiting delegation of Sri Lankan Tamil MPs last week.
"The Prime Minister had said India will not backtrack from its position that Tamils in Sri Lanka should lead a life of dignity and self respect in a peaceful environment. This gives us satisfaction," he said.
Similar resolutions had been adopted at a conference of party-backed Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisation (TESO) in August, he recalled.
On the recent arrest of Tamil Nadu fishermen by Iranian authorities for violating International Maritime Boundary Line, he said many fishermen from the state were languishing in
jails of Qatar and Iran and demanded that the Centre intervene immediately to secure their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea