DMK seeks to buoy itself up with Karuna`s birthday
Chennai: The low-in-spirits DMK will seek to cheer itself up with the birthday celebrations of party chief M Karunanidhi who turns 89 on Sunday amid intra party differences between rival camps headed by sons M K Alagiri and Stalin and the 2G spectrum scam cloud hanging over it.
The celebrations are expected to buoy up a sulking party cadre striving to galvanise themselves after the electoral drubbing at the hands of arch rival AIADMK in the April 2011 polls and Sankarankoil bypoll earlier this year.
The DMK patriarch is grappling with intra party differences in the wake of the poll debacle even as a host of top leaders like former ministers Veerapandi S Arumugam and K N Nehru, among others, are facing cases pertaining to graft and land-grabbing.
Daughter Kanimozhi and party`s `Dalit face` and former Telecom Minister A Raja, both accused in the spectrum allocation scam, are now out on bail.
With sibling rivalry between Alagiri and Stalin grabbing the headlines once in a while, Karunanidhi had recently said persons who create trouble will be closely watched, sending out a message to supporters of both leaders.
His recent flip-flop on pulling out of the UPA over the petrol price hike has done his image no good.
As per the schedule released by DMK headquarters, on June 3 Karunanidhi will start the day by paying floral tributes at the memorials of his mentors, DMK founder CN Annadurai and rational leader EV Ramasamy.
He will later address a public meeting at KK Nagar here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation