DMK seeks to buoy itself up with Karuna`s birthday
Chennai: The low-in-spirits DMK will seek to cheer itself up with the birthday celebrations of party chief M Karunanidhi who turns 89 on Sunday amid intra party differences between rival camps headed by sons M K Alagiri and Stalin and the 2G spectrum scam cloud hanging over it.
The celebrations are expected to buoy up a sulking party cadre striving to galvanise themselves after the electoral drubbing at the hands of arch rival AIADMK in the April 2011 polls and Sankarankoil bypoll earlier this year.
The DMK patriarch is grappling with intra party differences in the wake of the poll debacle even as a host of top leaders like former ministers Veerapandi S Arumugam and K N Nehru, among others, are facing cases pertaining to graft and land-grabbing.
Daughter Kanimozhi and party`s `Dalit face` and former Telecom Minister A Raja, both accused in the spectrum allocation scam, are now out on bail.
With sibling rivalry between Alagiri and Stalin grabbing the headlines once in a while, Karunanidhi had recently said persons who create trouble will be closely watched, sending out a message to supporters of both leaders.
His recent flip-flop on pulling out of the UPA over the petrol price hike has done his image no good.
As per the schedule released by DMK headquarters, on June 3 Karunanidhi will start the day by paying floral tributes at the memorials of his mentors, DMK founder CN Annadurai and rational leader EV Ramasamy.
He will later address a public meeting at KK Nagar here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA