DMK success in Raja`s constituency a surprise
Coimbatore: Former telecom minister A Raja
is at the centre of the 2G scam but his clout over the
electorate in Nilgiris district does not seem to have waned as
they voted for DMK candidates in two of three seats the party
Former Khadi minister K Ramachandran won from Coonoor
constituency and Dravida Mani from Gudalur, which fall under
Nilgiris Lok Sabha constituency.
Ironically, DMK had lost 53 of the 57 seats in the
Western belt, comprising eight districts, including Nilgiris.
The AIADMK-led front had routed the ruling DMK ensuring
an absolute majority on its own in the April 13 Tamil Nadu
AIADMK romped home in 150 of 160 seats it contested as
the party crossed the magical figure of 117 in the 234-member
DMK got a paltry 23 of 121 seats it had contested in one
of its most dismal shows while its ally Congress was decimated
winning just five seats of the 63 it fought.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30