DMK success in Raja`s constituency a surprise
Coimbatore: Former telecom minister A Raja
is at the centre of the 2G scam but his clout over the
electorate in Nilgiris district does not seem to have waned as
they voted for DMK candidates in two of three seats the party
Former Khadi minister K Ramachandran won from Coonoor
constituency and Dravida Mani from Gudalur, which fall under
Nilgiris Lok Sabha constituency.
Ironically, DMK had lost 53 of the 57 seats in the
Western belt, comprising eight districts, including Nilgiris.
The AIADMK-led front had routed the ruling DMK ensuring
an absolute majority on its own in the April 13 Tamil Nadu
AIADMK romped home in 150 of 160 seats it contested as
the party crossed the magical figure of 117 in the 234-member
DMK got a paltry 23 of 121 seats it had contested in one
of its most dismal shows while its ally Congress was decimated
winning just five seats of the 63 it fought.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan