DMK to join debate on India`s CHOGM participation, if taken up
Chennai: DMK MPs would join a debate on India`s participation in Commonwealth Heads of Government summit, if the matter was taken for discussion in the winter session of Parliament, party chief M Karunanidhi said today.
"If a debate on the issue is allowed, our MPs would participate in it on behalf of DMK," Karunanidhi told reporters.
He was replying to a query on the possibility of a debate in the Parliament`s winter session on External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid`s participation in the summit in Colombo last month, despite demands by political parties in Tamil Nadu against it, citing the island government`s war crimes.
To another query on Tamil Nadu government`s appeal in the Supreme Court against Madras High Court`s judgement, which gave a green signal to GAIL`s pipeline project passing through seven districts of Tamil Nadu, he said "Some actions are being taken for the country`s economy or scientific advancement. Some actions are taken for development of agriculture."
"At the same time, other sectors, including the industries, should be considered not to disturb agricultural sector, which is why I said both parties should sit for talks," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown