DMK to join debate on India`s CHOGM participation, if taken up
Chennai: DMK MPs would join a debate on India`s participation in Commonwealth Heads of Government summit, if the matter was taken for discussion in the winter session of Parliament, party chief M Karunanidhi said today.
"If a debate on the issue is allowed, our MPs would participate in it on behalf of DMK," Karunanidhi told reporters.
He was replying to a query on the possibility of a debate in the Parliament`s winter session on External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid`s participation in the summit in Colombo last month, despite demands by political parties in Tamil Nadu against it, citing the island government`s war crimes.
To another query on Tamil Nadu government`s appeal in the Supreme Court against Madras High Court`s judgement, which gave a green signal to GAIL`s pipeline project passing through seven districts of Tamil Nadu, he said "Some actions are being taken for the country`s economy or scientific advancement. Some actions are taken for development of agriculture."
"At the same time, other sectors, including the industries, should be considered not to disturb agricultural sector, which is why I said both parties should sit for talks," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Hyderabad varsity JAC condemns judicial commission report
- Hillary Clinton says Donald Trump is taking far-right hate groups `mainstream`
- John Kerry arrives in Geneva for Syria talks with Lavrov
- Three killed in apparent crossbow attack in Canada
- England to go ahead with Bangladesh tour amid security fears