DMK to join nation-wide bandh against Centre: Karuna
Chennai: DMK, a key ally of the ruling UPA, Tuesday announced its participation at the September 20 nation-wide bandh called by several non-UPA parties to protest Centre`s decision on diesel price hike, allow FDI in multi-brand retail and limit subsidised cooking gas.
In a brief statement, DMK President M Karunanidhi asked his party members to extend "full co-operation" for conducting the protest in a "peaceful" and "successful manner".
Karunanidhi, who has already demanded rollback of the diesel price hike, also asked various wings of his party to participate in the bandh.
"People in the state are already reeling under the increase in transport, milk, electricity charges and price rise. The Centre, burdening the common man further, has announced increase in the diesel price, limiting subsidised cooking gas and allowing FDI in multi-brand retail.
To protest these decisions,a nation-wide protest has been announced on September 20," he said.
Samajwadi Party, which is supporting the government, along with a number of other non-UPA parties including BJP, will hold coordinated agitational programmes on September 20 across the country to protest against these decisions of the Manmohan Singh Government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!