DMK to join nation-wide bandh against Centre: Karuna
Chennai: DMK, a key ally of the ruling UPA, Tuesday announced its participation at the September 20 nation-wide bandh called by several non-UPA parties to protest Centre`s decision on diesel price hike, allow FDI in multi-brand retail and limit subsidised cooking gas.
In a brief statement, DMK President M Karunanidhi asked his party members to extend "full co-operation" for conducting the protest in a "peaceful" and "successful manner".
Karunanidhi, who has already demanded rollback of the diesel price hike, also asked various wings of his party to participate in the bandh.
"People in the state are already reeling under the increase in transport, milk, electricity charges and price rise. The Centre, burdening the common man further, has announced increase in the diesel price, limiting subsidised cooking gas and allowing FDI in multi-brand retail.
To protest these decisions,a nation-wide protest has been announced on September 20," he said.
Samajwadi Party, which is supporting the government, along with a number of other non-UPA parties including BJP, will hold coordinated agitational programmes on September 20 across the country to protest against these decisions of the Manmohan Singh Government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know