DMK to launch accident insurance scheme for Karaikal students
Poryar: An accident insurance scheme is
being launched by DMK for college students in a Puducherry
district, which would provide them and their parents a cover
of Rs 1.5 lakh.
`Dr Kalaignar Insurance Scheme for Students`, which will
benefit about 2000 students in neighbouring Karaikal district
in the first phase, will come into effect from January 1 next
year, Leader of the Opposition in the Territorial Assembly, A
M H Nazeem said today.
"Initially, the scheme will cover college students in
the district. Students who suffer physical disability will get
a compensation of Rs 75,000 and in case of deaths, the kin of
the students will get Rs 1.5 lakh," he said.
It extends insurance cover to the parents too. "If a
college student loses his parents (sole earning member of the
family in accident), he will get Rs 1.5 lakh to continue his
education," Nazeem said.
It is being launched as a large number of students were
becoming victims of road accidents in the district. The
Karaikal district unit of the party will bear the entire
expense of the scheme that will be implemented through New
India Assurance Company, he said.
"DMK has appealed to the Puducherry government to
implement this as a government scheme from the next academic
year onwards for all students in the UT. In case, the
government does not implement the scheme, DMK will continue to
sponsor it besides extending the cover to school students in
phases," said Nazeem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter