DMK too opposes dual pricing of diesel
Chennai: A day after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa expressed concern over the dual diesel pricing policy, DMK, a key ally of UPA, on Saturday demanded that the Centre withdraw the "retrograde" step.
"The dual pricing policy of the oil companies is a retrograde step affecting the State transport undertakings. The Centre should immediately withdraw the measure which is against socialistic principles", DMK chief M Karunanidhi said in a statement.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday shot off a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the withdrawal of "ill-conceived" and "short-sighted" measure and threatened to move the Supreme Court if it was not rolled back.
Karunanidhi said raising the prices of diesel for bulk consumers by Rs 11.81 per litre would result in an additional expenditure of Rs 2.32 crore per day to the state-owned transport corporations which were set up with a purpose of providing affordable transportation to the public.
Observing that he had already voiced concern over allowing oil companies to increase the diesel prices by 50 paise per litre, Karunanidhi said he had also urged the Centre to take steps to safeguard the poor and middle-class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow