DMK too opposes dual pricing of diesel
Chennai: A day after Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa expressed concern over the dual diesel pricing policy, DMK, a key ally of UPA, on Saturday demanded that the Centre withdraw the "retrograde" step.
"The dual pricing policy of the oil companies is a retrograde step affecting the State transport undertakings. The Centre should immediately withdraw the measure which is against socialistic principles", DMK chief M Karunanidhi said in a statement.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday shot off a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding the withdrawal of "ill-conceived" and "short-sighted" measure and threatened to move the Supreme Court if it was not rolled back.
Karunanidhi said raising the prices of diesel for bulk consumers by Rs 11.81 per litre would result in an additional expenditure of Rs 2.32 crore per day to the state-owned transport corporations which were set up with a purpose of providing affordable transportation to the public.
Observing that he had already voiced concern over allowing oil companies to increase the diesel prices by 50 paise per litre, Karunanidhi said he had also urged the Centre to take steps to safeguard the poor and middle-class.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened