DMK urges TN Govt to seek review of SC ban on jallikattu
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday urged the Jayalalithaa Government in Tamil Nadu to seek review of the Supreme Court`s verdict banning `jallikattu`, describing the popular bull taming sport as a symbol of Tamil culture.
In a statement here, he said the state government should immediately take steps to secure the apex court`s permission to allow continuation of jallikattu considering the sentiments and appeal made by all quarters, including organisers of the sport, and "law and order consequences" due to the ban.
The government should also take into account the danger of 60,000 bulls being sent to Kerala for slaughter and protect the "symbol of Tamil culture and tradition", he said.
The apex court on May 7 banned using bulls for jallikattu events or bullock-cart races across the country, observing that jallikattu demonstrates a link between actions of humans and the fear, distress and pain experienced by bulls and the torture and cruelty meted out to the bulls is unimaginable.
Tracing the history of `jallikattu`, widely held in southern Tamil Nadu mainly coinciding with harvest festival of `Pongal` in January, Karunanidhi said it was a sport of Tamil valor and there were even references to it in ancient `Sangam` period literature.
Maintaining that it did not cause death of either the animal or the bull tamers, he recalled various steps taken during the DMK regime to secure the permission of Supreme Court for holding jallikkatu in 2007 as per its guidelines and enactment of an act in 2009 for this purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened